Urso Chappell’s ExpoMuseum Blog: 25th Anniversary of the 1982 World's Fair

04 July 2007

25th Anniversary of the 1982 World's Fair



This Fourth of July found me in Knoxville for celebrations related to the 25th anniversary of the 1982 World's Fair.

The video I shot in my hotel room, so I apologize for the poor quality, but it gives a good overview of the fair in the context of 2007.

It's always great to be back in Knoxville. My interest in international expositions started here when I was 15 years old. There are still little bits of the world's fair left here and there, but mostly the old railroad yard that once stood here is a beautiful downtown park.

Tomorrow, the city will open the Sunsphere to the public for the first time in years. I hope to get some video or still photos of that. Also, the East Tennessee Historial Society has an exhibit about the 1982 World's Fair. They were closed today, but I plan on visiting tomorrow.

No comments: