Urso Chappell’s ExpoMuseum Blog: Haibao

18 December 2007

Haibao

The Expo 2010 authorities announced today their mascot choice. It was chosen from thousands of entries from dozens of countries. His name is Haibao (or "Hai Bao" elsewhere in their site) and there's more information about him on the Expo 2010 site.

Haibao Poses

I must admit that I find the winning entry a bit uninspired. It seems very similar to Zaragoza's Expo 2008 mascot, Fluvi. Some have said it reminds them of Gumby.

Unlike Fluvi, though, Haibo doesn't have an obvious connection to a Expo 2010's theme of "Better City, Better Life." Ironically, it seems more connected to Expo 2008's water theme or a Expo 2012's ocean theme.

The character is also meant to reference the Chinese character "ren" which means "man" or "human." Strangely enough, his wave hair reminds me of Expo '98's Gil, who had a similar wave head.

In the interest of full discosure, I should reveal that one of my designs was one of the 26,655 entries that were received. For those who are interested, here's the design I submitted in March:

City Tiger

In retrospect, having seen a few of the other entries, my choice of a tiger (2010 is Year of the Tiger) might have been a bit too obvious. My concept was to have a family of tigers that represented the sub-themes of the expo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will admit that i am prejudiced, but your design at least conveys an oriental influence! As with the theme symbol, i see no connection to the theme of Expo 2010! Yes! Ironically, this mascot looks much better than Expo 2008`s "Fluvi"!

Anonymous said...

I also like your idea. Since I am the world expert on feline symbols
I appreciate the far greater thought you appear to have given this subject.
I would like to create an alternative commission for the creation of expo, Olympic and other recreational and sport mascots. I have created a few characters, filmed a few mascots and worn costumes, made comic books, designed theme park attractions.
The design of the 2010 Vancouver characters is out of keeping with a Canadian Olympics as well!

BRIAN LORNE MAGED
MONTREAL CARTOON CLUB
WORLD FAIROLOGIST
FUTURIST - DESIGNER

Urso Chappell said...

I have to say I'm a big fan of Vancouver's choices for the 2010 Winter Olympics. They might not seem Canadian, but they do seem appropriate for multi-cultural Vancouver and for the Pacific Northwest. It's no surprise to me that Quatchi, in particular, is outselling the other characters.