Urso Chappell’s ExpoMuseum Blog: Expo 2008, Day 2

24 June 2008

Expo 2008, Day 2

During day two of my visit, I mostly concentrated on seeing more of the national pavilions. Germany, not surprisingly, was a highlight.

CIMG3719c

Germany's pavilion features a dark ride with recliner seats on boats. Unlike other dark rides I've been on, the intended visual focus is the ceiling. It's a very unique ride and a sometimes whimsical take on the expo's water theme.

CIMG3755c

They even had free water at the end. After seeing exhibit after exhibit about water in Zargoza's 90ยบ F heat, you can imagine how thirsty you get.

It surprises me that no other pavilion I've visited thus far has done this. Wunderbar!

Belgium recognizes the 50th anniversary of Expo 58 with models of the Atomium as well as this book in their gift shop.

CIMG3777c

I wanted to buy one of the books, but was told they didn't know how much to charge and I should come back next week when they know.

CIMG3778c

On a better note, I discovered where to buy the official guidebook. At most expositions, the guidebooks are front and center in the gift shops. At Expo 2008, they only seem to sell the book at off-site newsstands and bookshops and their rather well-stocked on-site bookshop. I was pleased to see they have all manner of books related to the issues of water and sustainable development.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Urso, Since i first viewed the plan for the German pavilion i knew it would be THE hit of Expo 2008! More whimsical and aesthetic than the silly roller-coaster at Expo 2005!